- Naloxone temporarily blocks the effects of opioids, and can reverse overdose. It only works if opioids are in the body, it has no effect on alcohol or other drugs.
- It can take 1-5 minutes to start working and may require more than one dose.
- Effects can last 30-90 minutes, this varies per person
- Naloxone may cause an opioid dependent person to go into withdrawal (e.g. nausea, vomiting, agitation, muscle aches). These symptoms will go away as the naloxone wears off.
- Do not throw away expired naloxone. Any naloxone is better than no naloxone. Naloxone is 90% effective after 30 years past its expiration date (footnote 1), and can survive extreme temperatures (footnote 2).
Bunny and Wolf Fight an Overdose
VHRC distributes both intramuscular and nasal versions of naloxone. We do individual, group, and organizational trainings both for administration and Virginia Department of Health’s REVIVE! trainer of trainers.